Fix Error Code 0xc00000f – A Windows failure to start 0xc00000f error message is usually the result of a corrupted file, a damaged drive, or a malware or virus infection.
Causes of Error code 0xc000000f
Before we focus on the possible cures, let’s understand the causes behind them. Usually, the Boot Manager cannot locate the BCD (Boot Configuration Database) file in the system owing to the following reasons:
- Corrupted file due to power failure
- File missing from the system due to malware, and virus attacks
- Damaged data cables
- Disk write errors
How to Fix Error Code 0xc00000f On Windows?
Check and Change Power Cord and Remove External Devices
The damaged power cord can cause the Windows to stop booting up abruptly as the power supply is interrupted. It is advisable to remove all external devices from the computer before acting.
- Turn off the Windows device.
- Disconnect it from the power source. Check the power cord for any visible sign of wear and tear. If so, replace it before plugging it back on. If it looks healthy, perform the following steps.
- Remove all connected devices like microphones, USB devices, webcam, dongles, and other electronic accessories one by one.
- Power on the device to try again.
Disable Peripheral Hardware
The power cord when used for a long can get damaged. Therefore, checking the power cord and removing external devices is the initial step to fix error 0xc000000f.
- If the power cable is damaged or you have been using it for several years replace the power cable.
- Detach all connected hardware except keyboard and mouse to see if this fixes the BSOD error code.
- Remove CD, USB, printer, and other external devices from the ports.
- Restart your PC.
This should help resolve error 0xc000000f. If your PC restarts without error the windows error code try identifying the damaged hardware causing the occurrence of the error message on Windows 10.
Use BOOTREC.EXE Utility to Reboot PC
BOOTREC.EXE utility can help fix error 0xc000000f. To use it you’d need Windows DVD or USB installation disk.
This utility helps repair the boot files and correct the boot configuration data (BCD), that controls the launching of the Windows OS. To use it follow the steps below:
- Restart your PC and use either the USB installation disk or Windows DVD.
- Next, restart your PC and press any key when prompted.
- Choose the correct date, time, language, currency before pressing NEXT.
- Choose the operating system you want to repair.
- Click “Command Prompt” in the “System Recovery Options.”
- Type “bootrec.exe” in the prompt before pressing ENTER.
This will make the utility run automatically and repair BCD before the PC is restarted. Your PC will now reboot without the error 0xc000000f appearing on the screen.
Use Startup Repair
Before following the steps explained below change boot order in BIOS and put CD ROM or Removable Devices as the first boot choice.
- After changing the boot order, insert the Windows installation disk and start the computer. This will help boot from the Windows installation disk.
- Once the PC is booted from the Windows installation disk, click “Repair your computer.
- Click Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Repair. Once the recovery process is finished restart your PC.
You can also boot your Windows in Safe mode and try to run Automatic repair.
As you did in the above solution change the boot order to CD-ROM or Removable Devices according to the medium you are using i.e. CD or USB that has Windows installation.
- Now, insert the Windows installation disk and restart your computer.
- Click Repair your computer > Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Command prompt.
- Now type the following commands in the same order and press enter after each command:
- a.bootrec / fixmbr
- b.bootrec / fixboot
- c.bootrec / scanos
- d.bootrec / rebuildbcd
Once all commands are entered Windows will automatically scan and rebuild BCD. After the process is finished restart your PC. This will help fix error code 0xc00000f on Windows 10.
Using any of the solutions explained above you can easily fix the Windows error code blue screen of death error. When there is an issue with the Windows boot manager or startup files error code 0xc00000f occurs. Therefore, fixing it becomes very essential. We hope using, the above method you were able to fix the stop code error on Windows 10.
Check your Data Cables, BIOS, and Drivers
We always assume that error code 0xc00000f windows 10 fix will include complexity. There are instances when users tried all methods but forgot to check the apparent data cables, BIOS, and drivers. We let you know how to fix the annoying error:
- Remove data cables.
- Apply the “Restore factory settings” option in BIOS.
- Restart your PC now.
- Choose any of these keys: “Esc”, “Del”, “F2”, “F8”, “F10” or “F12” to open the BIOS menu.
- If you are stuck with multiple keys, go for BIOS”, “setup” or “BIOS menu” option to open the BIOS.
- Carefully toggle all three modes or a successful combination until you bump into the following screen.
- Have a look at the BIOS screen
Check your disk with the CHKDSK utility
Let’s understand this final step in our efforts to remove the error code 0xc000000f. We use the CHKDSK utility when the Hard drive’s file composition is disturbed. Let’s look at the simple steps:
- Use the Windows install disc to boot the computer.
- After selecting proper language, time, and keyboard input, select Repair your computer.
- Choose the Windows installation drive – C:\, and hit “Next”.
- When the System Recovery Options box appears on the screen, choose Command Prompt and type “chkdsk C: /f”.
Also Read: How to Fix 0x80131500 Error on Windows?