Fix LAN Doesn’t Have a Valid IP Configuration – A local area network is a computer network that interconnects computers within a limited area such as a residence, school, laboratory, university campus, or office building.
By contrast, a wide area network not only covers a larger geographic distance but also generally involves leased telecommunication circuits.
How to Fix LAN Doesn’t Have a Valid IP Configuration on Windows?
Fix LAN Doesn’t Have a Valid IP Configuration – Modify the Value of your Network Connection
- Right-click on the network icon on the bottom right of your taskbar. Then select Open Network and Sharing Center.
- Click Change adapters settings. Proceed to right-click on the network adapter you’re using and choose Properties.
- Click Configure.
- On the Advanced pane. Highlight the Property: Network Address. Then change its value to be random 12 alphanumeric characters, here we enter 03GF23FE8630 as an example. Click OK.
- See if you can connect to the Internet.
Change the Value of Your Network Connection
Local Area connection does not have a valid IP configuration? Don’t worry. You can try to change the value of your network connection to solve the problem. Now follow the instructions below to do that:
- Press the Win + I keys at the same time to open Settings. Choose Network & Internet.
- Go to the Status tab and then click Change adapter options in the right panel.
- Right-click the network adapter that you are using to choose Properties.
- Click Configure… and then go to the Advanced tab. Choose Network Address under the Property section and then change its value to random 12 alphanumeric characters.
- Here we take 20GF23FE8630 as an example, and then click OK to save changes.
- Restart your computer to check if you can connect to the Internet.
Reinstall Your Network Adapter Driver
If your network adapter driver is outdated or corrupted, then you can receive the error message – Local Area Connection doesn’t have a valid IP configuration. In this case, you can try to reinstall your network adapter driver to fix the error. Here is a quick guide on how to do that:
- Press the Win + X keys at the same time to choose Device Manager.
- Expand Network adapters and right-click the adapter that you are using to choose Uninstall device.
- Click Uninstall to confirm the uninstallation. And if available, check to Delete the driver software for this device and click OK.
- Restart your computer, and the system will automatically install the default network driver. Then check if the error is fixed.
Fix LAN Doesn’t Have a Valid IP Configuration – Change Network Adapter Settings
The last method you can try to fix “Local Area Connection doesn’t have a valid IP configuration” is to change network adapter settings. Now follow the steps below to do that:
- Press the Win + R keys at the same time to open the Run box.
- Type ncpa. cpl in the box and then click OK to open Network Connections.
- Locate your network connection, right-click it to choose Properties.
- In the Properties window, choose Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and then click Properties.
- Choose Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically. Click OK to save changes.
Now you can restart your computer to check if the error appears again. If the error persists, then follow the guide below:
- In the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties window, choose to Use the following IP address, then enter the IP address, Subnet mask, Default gateway.
- Then choose to Use the following DNS server addresses, enter Preferred DNS server and Alternate DNS server. Click OK to save changes and then check if the error is fixed.
Also Read: How to Enable and use Wake on LAN on Windows 10?